Saturday, May 8, 2010

readings

mike and i knew we were not going to have the most traditional wedding ceremony with it being in a field rather than a church, not to mention it just not being very us, we felt we were freed up from sticking to the Corinthians (though i do love it) for one of our readings. and really, after walking down the aisle to a whiter shade of pale a passage from John just didnt seem to fit.

that being said some of the moments i am most excited about are the readings we chose to include in our ceremony. the first one we knew we wanted right away, though we thought it was hair brained, but were so excited when our officiant supported us without hesitation.

since mike and i met in film school, are suckers for romantic comedies, and were friends for over 8 years before we started dating, we couldn't imagine not including that special passage from when harry met sally in our wedding.

Harry: I've been doing a lot of thinking. And the

thing is, I love you.

Sally: What?

Harry: I love you.

Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?

Harry: How about you love me too?

Sally: How about I'm leaving.

Harry: Doesn't what I said mean anything to you?

Sally: I'm sorry Harry, I know it's New Years Eve, I know

you're feeling lonely, but you just can't show up here, tell me

you love me and expect that to make everything alright.

It doesn't work this way.

Harry: Well how does it work?

Sally: I don't know but not this way.

Harry: Well how about this way. I love that you get

cold when it's seventy one degrees out, I love that it takes you an hour

and a half to order a sandwich, I love that you get a little crinkle

above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts, I love that

after I spend a day with you I can still smell your perfume on my clothes

and I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go

to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because

it's New Years Eve. I came here tonight because when you realise you want

to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of the

life to start as soon as possible.

Sally: You see, that is just like you Harry. You say

things like that and you make it impossible for me to hate you.

And I hate you Harry... I really hate you. I hate you.

(They kiss and make up.)


the second reading came to us as the perfect solution to our first dance song debate. mike discovered through his own channels how played out the song he had been attached to was in the hipster community and let is go. the compromise that i had been mulling over for some time was that the song could work really well as a poem - as a song it's almost a love letter - and we could include it in our day as a part of our ceremony. it will be read by a friend who is very dear to us.


Bright Eyes "first day of my life"


This is the first day of my life

I swear I was born right in the doorway

I went out in the rain suddenly everything changed

They're spreading blankets on the beach

Yours is the first face that I saw

I think I was blind before I met you

Now I don’t know where I am

I don’t know where I’ve been

But I know where I want to go

And so I thought I’d let you know

That these things take forever

I especially am slow

But I realize that I need you

And I wondered if I could come home

Remember the time you drove all night

Just to meet me in the morning

And I thought it was strange you said everything changed

You felt as if you'd just woke up

And you said “this is the first day of my life

I’m glad I didn’t die before I met you

But now I don’t care I could go anywhere with you

And I’d probably be happy”

So if you want to be with me

With these things there’s no telling

We just have to wait and see

But I’d rather be working for a paycheck

Than waiting to win the lottery

Besides maybe this time is different

I mean I really think you like me


No comments:

Post a Comment