Wednesday, November 25, 2009

oh, harold... that's *wonderful*. go and love some more.

Harold and Maude has been one of my favorite movies since i was about 15 years old. i even have a daisy tattoo as a friendly reminder to pay attention to my own imperfections and uniqueness and to not think of myself as just one of many lost in the field...and to remember that the opportunity to love is always worth a potentially broken heart.




Maude: I should like to change into a sunflower most of all. They're so tall and simple. What flower would you like to be?
Harold: I don't know. One of these, maybe.
Maude: Why do you say that?
Harold: Because they're all alike.
Maude: Oooh, but they're *not*. Look. See, some are smaller, some are fatter, some grow to the left, some to the right, some even have lost some petals. All *kinds* of observable differences. You see, Harold, I feel that much of the world's sorrow comes from people who are *this*,
[she points to a daisy]
Maude: yet allow themselves be treated as *that*.
[she gestures to a field of daisies]

No comments:

Post a Comment